Week 2 Blog Post

On Writing:
The story of the ear operations stood out to me. I can't say I enjoyed it, but that wasn't the point of them. The descriptive nature made me cringe while reading it.
It basically was about how he needed a fluid drained out of his ears, and it required a doctor to lance his eardrum, and this went on for a few weeks.
The quote I like comes from a saying he stuck by after this experience.
"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on you. Fool me three time, shame on both of us."
This is actually sort of funny to me because it shows how he kept believing the doctor's lies that the operations wouldn't hurt, and they did. He wrote how it was the most intense pain he's ever felt in his life.


Review:
Two review subjects would be a movie or a video-game. For a movie, I'd be hard pressed to find one, as I am not very knowledgeable about what new movies are out. As for a game, I know that new releases on the Steam page would be a good place to start. I would probably prefer doing the videogame, because that's a genre I feel I can write more comfortably about. It's always good to think deeply about why you like something that appeals to you, what it is about that thing that you find appealing, and learning from that. I do that with video-games a lot.

I read a review of a game called "The Signal From Tolva", written by someone at IGN.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/11/the-signal-from-tolva-review
It was a review about a sci-fi shooter that praised some aspects of the game such as interesting moments and good game mechanics, but said that the downsides such as pacing sort of ruined it in a lot of ways. I found this interesting because it involves appraising the product as a whole with the sum of it's parts, instead of just individually describing what was good and what was bad (though you need to do that too.) This overall appraisal sounds interesting, because it can change from one person to another depending on what they find most important in a game. I then learned from this that you have to go into a game with a set of principles, holding some things important and having higher priority than others. A good example of this is the common wise choice of ranking gameplay as more important than graphics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Column Article: Standing Up for The Little Guy

Week 6 Blog Post

Profile Article: Mike Reardon